Adelaide Oval SMA, Adelaide Oval Roof Climb
- Adelaide Oval SMA
- Design and Construct - Managing Contractor
- $2.2 Million
- High Commendation 2017 AIB Professional Excellence in Commercial Construction Up to $5 Million (SA Chapter)
Adelaide Oval’s Roof Climb is the first of its kind for Adelaide. The climb gives sports fans the chance to get a bird’s eye view of the oval and surrounding sights. Participants are led along the curved roofline of the oval’s Western Stand before navigating across a narrow bridge to the southern Riverbank Stand.
Sarah went to great lengths – and heights – to construct the aluminium walk way, with the majority of works completed well above ground level. Materials were lifted onto the roof by cranes located on the oval turf. Much care was taken to ensure no damage occurred to the hallowed turf.
The development included 900 metres of safety rail, and the combined weight for the link-bridge and adjoining platform was more than 10 tonnes.
“Sarah have successfully completed the design and construction of a number of projects at Adelaide Oval, most notably the Commonwealth Bank RoofClimb. Being the first of its kind in Australia, Sarah were collaborative in their approach to this complex project, maintaining open lines of communication and responding to necessary variations to deliver a quality product on time and budget.”Andrew Daniels, CEO - SMA Ltd
Take on the icon with Roof Climb Adelaide Oval.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- High profile project in the community with numerous on-site media reports. Sarah’s impeccable on-site safety standards removed risk to visitors.
- Strict deadlines. The rooftop walk was promoted prior to construction with tickets sold for a pre-set official opening date. Tightly managed scheduling to meet deadlines.
- Tight project budget. Cost saving solutions were identified up front.
- Progressive value management – provided options or alternatives to reduce lead time.
- Sarah enabled hands on client interaction at times when they required it.
- Clever design up-front to reduce variation costs.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions