The Co-op, The Barossa Retail Centre
- The Co-op
- Design & Construct, GMP
- $25 Million
The new Barossa Retail Centre at Nuriootpa is both a contemporary shopping experience, showcasing the best of the Barossa, and home to what is now one of the largest independent supermarkets in Australia.
Estimated to contribute an additional $24 million to the region by 2021, the new centre, includes 21 retail tenancies, an enlarged Foodland, Aldi and Cheap As Chips; and is the nation’s largest retail co-operative. The redeveloped centre also features a “Town Square”, Arcade and entrance landscaping with linkage to the main street.
Led by Project Manager Rick Capaldo, Barossa Co-op benefited from the Sarah team’s combined years of specialist retail construction experience, as well as their in house Design Manager. Opening on the 28th November, within the earliest possible time-frame, allowed the Co-op to benefit from Christmas holiday trading.
Delivering one of Australia’s largest independent supermarkets in the heart of the Barossa
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- To meet the client’s timeframe expectations, the Sarah team closely managed design to source suitable alternatives for selected materials to allow earlier procurement and installation. Certain works were also reprogrammed for commencement sooner to make up for weather delays.
- Facilitating collaboration with the client’s Melbourne based architects, Sarah Constructions recommended a representative travel to the site and be stationed there for the duration of the project.
- A state-of-the-art supermarket, one of the largest in all of Australia, and a landmark shopping destination, transforming the town of Nuriootpa and boosting the Barossa economy.
- A temporary car parking solution, ready for the public over the busy festive season and approved for extended use until the client is ready to invest in a permanent upgrade.
- Seamless project execution and delivery; on brief, within budget and positively received by the client, the community and the media.
- The Sarah team advised a complete redesign of phase 2 of the project, which was initially documented as an internal refurbishment but changed to a demolition and rebuild, to ensure a more reliable, long-term product for the client.
- The project team produced a certified temporary car parking solution within a 3 week period, which allowed the client to operate over the Christmas period.
- The client was guided by Sarah throughout the entire project, benefitting from the team’s considerable knowledge and experience in retail construction. Additional meetings and resources were allocated to enable consistent progress to be made. As well as managing the build, Sarah Constructions managed the client’s input and the design process.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions