Nine Network, Broadcast Facility and Offices
- Nine Network
- Office / Commercial
- Lump Sum
- $4.5 Million
- Winner 2016 AIB Excellence in Interior Construction $1 Million - $10 Million
This state-of-the-art broadcast facility came to life over 2,000m2 and three floors of office space, at 169 Pirie Street, right in the heart of the Adelaide CBD. The Channel 9 Adelaide studio and offices, needed to resonate Nine Network’s market-leading approach to broadcasting of local and national news, weather and entertainment.
“Sarah’s consultative style and up front preparedness to tackle challenging matters meant that we were always aligned on the best outcome for the Network. The process in this instance was managed with professionalism, dedication and a level of panache rarely seen in construction companies”
Scott Soutar , Project Director - Nine Network Australia
Playing a leading role in this ratings-winning project.
One of the project’s more critical aspects was the 36-rack data centre with independent gas suppression system and a dedicated 400kVA uninterrupted power supply (UPS), now capable of running the facility for 59 minutes in case of outages and damaging power surges. Three mechanical CRAC units were installed to offset the high temperatures produced by the data centre racks. A backup generator also sits deep within the project’s modern fit-out and bespoke finishing touches adorn the completed works, including an impressive, glazed stairwell spanning all three levels.
At the surface, rigorous acoustic engineering was carried out around the studios, to ensure clean, crisp sound quality suitable for broadcast. Sarah collaborated with project engineers and architects, as well as Nine’s own technology team, which needed to run 55km of data and broadcast cabling during construction. Despite the complex nature of such a sophisticated project, Sarah worked with these teams to ensure it finished on time and on budget, and will meet the Nine Network’s needs for years to come.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Timeframe – Nine Network had set milestone dates within the project that could not be missed. Sarah ensure that the project scheduled was followed very strictly, reviewed on daily basis and was constantly refined to implement innovative time-savings where possible.
- Central city location. The site was located in an operational building in the heart of the city. This required detailed scheduling to manage traffic disruptions, materials delivery and access for neighbouring tenants.
- Construction over three floors. Sarah created a multi-team structure with sub-contractors to split work into crews to enable progress on multiple floors at the same time. Smart scheduling enabled maximum build efficiency and continuity across all floors.
- The project was delivered on time, meeting all critical milestones and Nine Network were extremely happy with the end results.
- Exceptional quality finishes to a high end and high tech project.
- Sophisticated broadcast facility with complex uninterrupted power supply and generator backup systems.
- Collaborative, professional team approach that enabled extremely smooth project delivery irrespective of tight timeframes and a challenging site location.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions