St John's Grammar, Performing Arts Centre
- St John's Grammar
- Lump Sum Contract
- $3.3 Million
- High Commendation 2018 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) Commercial Construction Up to $5 Million
Sarah Constructions worked with St John’s Grammar School to produce their new teaching space for the Performing Arts sector. The state-of-the-art facility consists of an Auditorium, Practice Rooms, Flexible Learning Spaces, Offices and Galleries designed to develop the skills of students in a modern and contemporary environment.
The external structure of the building provides a warm and inviting entrance and echoes the feeling of excitement when visiting a theatrical venue. This was achieved using rebated precast panels, Flemish Bond brickwork, aluminium glazed windows and a raking perforated metal ceiling entrance.
Contemporary teaching methods are clearly reflected in the design of the auditorium; internally, a sprung timber floor; retractable seating and operable walls provide a flexible learning environment for the St John’s students.
Sarah Constructions paid excellent attention to the project. The on-site management and personnel worked with extraordinary commitment to a team approach. An attitude that was one of problem solving, not problem creation. Lines of communication between all projects members were open and responsive.
With the entire project completed ahead of schedule and on budget with special care taken to ensure that the finished building met or exceed all of our respective expectations.Arthur Galantomos - Property Manager
Collaborative construction supports 21st century education
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Due to existing saturated soils the proposed footing design was considered unsuitable to support the loads imposed in the initial design. Sarah redesigned the structure to suit the site conditions to support the loads imposed by the building without leading to long term issues. Altering the footing design accelerated the program and buildability of the structure.
- The practice rooms were designed to be acoustically sealed. Sarah provided alternate approaches to improve constructability of the acoustic sealing, ensuring effective and efficient building methodologies.
- The design of the front entrance ceiling required development to ensure buildability. Sarah coordinated a collaborative effort, incorporating the architects, client, subcontractors and consultants, to discuss the design intent and ensure the physical structure achieved it.
- The on time delivery of a landmark project that exceeded expectations without disruption to the schools daily operations was achieved through our experience in the education sector with a focus on school operations.
- Sarah’s collaborative and solutions-focused approach, and ability to tailor construction methodologies to cater for the school’s specific needs, generated trust and confidence within the team.
- The project was delivered within the budget contingency, allowing the school to invest more money into maintenance and initiatives to improve the lives of the students and teachers.
- Sarah’s collaborative approach to work as a cohesive team with consultants, contractors and the client, ensured that the project was managed more efficiently and utilised the specialist skills, knowledge and experience of all parties to deliver a superior outcome.
- Sarah’s excellent project management skills resulted in the project completion 6 weeks ahead of schedule.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions