Walkerville City Council, Civic and Community Centre
- Walkerville City Council
- Office / Commercial
- Lump Sum
- $7 Million
In the centre of Walkerville Terrace sits the stunning Walkerville Civic and Community Centre. Its striking design – a perfect blend of stylish contemporary mixed with the charm of yesteryear – ensures it can’t be missed.
The $7 million redevelopment of the Walkerville Civic and Community Centre included demolishing the existing centre and restoring the Heritage-listed town hall to its former glory.
Bringing new life into old, to further community engagement.
The new centre features council chambers, an office area and community library and bears a distinctive diamond feature on the external walls making it unmissable by passing motorists. Inside, the exposed polished concrete floors, timber ceiling and feature lighting make this more than the average civic and community centre.
The town hall was thoughtfully restored, which included patching stonework, demolishing some sections and installing heritage-style doors and timber jarrah flooring.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Sensitivities around heritage-listed town hall, required decision making approval from the heritage consultant and the council’s construction committee. Sarah worked with these groups to ensure heritage requirements were satisfied.
- Access – a detailed site management plan was developed to manage site access as it was bounded by two arterial roads.
- High level finishes included in the town hall required additional planning and extra time for construction.
- Overall project cost completed under budget whilst maintaining high quality work with meticulously constructed finishes.
- Tastefully restored town hall, meeting heritage consultant requirements.
- Restoration that delivered an integrated community space, successfully integrating new use into old spaces.
- Quality Inspections – implemented new technology to report quality issues back to contractors and subcontractor to ensure defect free on completion.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions