Adelaide Airport Limited, Export Park Building 183
- Adelaide Airport Limited
- Office / Commercial
- Design + Construct | Guaranteed Max Price
- $5.2 Million
With the successful completion of Export Park Building 183, Adelaide Airport is one step closer to delivering on its vision, to turn the Airport Business District into a top tier business centre in the Asia Pacific region.
Overseen by Sarah Constructions, in collaboration with Studio Nine Architects, the project transformed old 80’s warehouse stock into new open plan office accommodation for up to 80 people. The client design requirements were to enhance the character and scale of the warehouse by transforming it into vibrant, open office space complete with ample natural light.
Given the extreme proximity to operating Aircraft, significant acoustic design considerations were implemented, to ensure a comfortable work environment for office staff. The project was successfully delivered within a tight timeframe, driven by the tenant requirement, OZ Minerals, to vacate their current office lease.
Attracting high-calibre tenants like OZ Minerals to this exemplar site, enables Adelaide Airport to demonstrates their ability to provide a globally connected, next generation hub with designated industry clusters connected via seamless air access, both national and international.
“The move into our new office at the Adelaide Airport has been a resounding success. The facilities are first class and the feedback from everyone has been unanimously positive. You can even see and feel the difference in the atmosphere after just one day…thanks for all your support and effort in making this a reality for us.”Andrew Cole, Managing Director & CEO - OZ Minerals
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- With close proximity to the airport, managing Aircraft noise to avoid disruption within the office environment, was a number one priority. The Sarah team embraced the emphasis on structural noise control and collaborated closely with the acoustic consultants to ensure optimum results. Acoustic project performance requirements were delivered via numerous solutions, such as heavier ceiling batt and Fire rated plasterboard, roof structural steel stiffening and increased glazing performance.
- Delivering an open plan office space within a large warehouse space also presented internal acoustics challenges. Without specific design considerations, the large open plan office had the risk of high level echoes and undesirable noise reverberations. Internal acoustic solutions included exposed aesthetic insulation batt, multiple layered ceilings and perforated plasterboard to control reverberation within the meeting room pod structures. Through careful consideration in the redesign, Sarah managed the entire build to successfully achieve both internal and external acoustic requirements.
- Due to the tight project timeframe, procurement was also identified as a significant challenge to manage, from the outset of the project. To accommodate the six-month build process, Sarah delivered a quick design phase and fast pace construction. Engaging building surveyors in early design phase, Sarah ensured that the build design fell within the actual build conditions and therefore avoided any delays when the team arrived on site.
- With the proximity to the airport, what you don’t hear in the new office space, is amazing. Sound control was a critical factor for the tenant OZ Minerals. Within their previous boardroom, there was high levels of road traffic noise, preventing them to conduct important business communications via video conferencing. Now, even within the airport precinct, the sound control is significantly improved and both the client, Adelaide Airport and OZ Minerals are thrilled with the outcome.
- This project was an exemplar office fit for Adelaide Airport, to explore what was possible to achieve, and test the limits in refurbishing the old warehouse stock. The success of this project will be used as a tool to expand the rest of the precinct and re-invigorate other old building stock.
- Managing the project cost was a key factor for the client. Through the well controlled design and construct process, and strict value management, Sarah kept variations to an absolute minimum. Examples such as re-engineering the structure to improve efficiency, through to assisting the tenant in their furnishing selection to stick within budget, demonstrate Sarah’s ability to collaborate with all parties to prevent cost creep.
- Time was of the upmost importance on this project. The Sarah team went above and beyond to ensure that the tenant, OZ Minerals could vacate their previous lease on time. Through strict time management and a can-do attitude, Sarah honored our word to deliver on time.
- The success of this project hinged on exceptional acoustic properties for the re-designed structure. Sarah included additional acoustic inspections to regularly review progress, to ensure the results not only met requirements but that they exceeded expectations.
- Sarah’s dedication to high quality finishes, resulted in a superb contemporary new office space. The exceptional outcome provides a work environment that will improve collaboration for OZ Minerals staff and showcases the opportunities for redevelopment at other Adelaide Airport sites.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions