Australian Government, Australian Federal Police Headquarters
- Australian Government
- Office / Commercial
- Design and Construct – Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP)
- $11 Million
- 2013 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards - High Commendation (National Award) Excellence in a Commercial / Industrial Development $5 Mil - $10 Mil
The Australian Federal Police’s three-level office earned a 4.5 green star rating energy efficiency because of its environmentally sustainable design features, including using low energy equipment and lighting during the building phase.
Low environmental impact wood, paint, adhesives and sealants were incorporated in the build. The complex contains an environmentally sustainable VRV air-conditioning system and Dali controlled lighting.
Project features include a large precast entry ramp in exposed aggregate concrete finish, external double-glazed aluminium frames with 12mm steel sunshades, metal sheeting and alucobond façade. A breakout area for staff was created with a suspended timber deck.
A feature metal staircase runs from the ground floor to first floor and overlooks the decked breakout area.
Significant issues with the ground site conditions put the building at risk of delay. The site has high ground water, poor soil structure and is located in the centre of a natural water course. An intricate system of pump pits and temporary water storage and drainage locations helped improve conditions and avoid delays.
“We wish to extend our appreciation to Sarah Constructions for the highly professional manner in which the delivery of the “Design and Construct” project was undertaken.
We have received positive feedback from the AFP for the co-operative and responsive attitude of the whole Project Team”.Tony Francis, Manager Property Development - Adelaide Airport Limited
Green stars for our police.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Airport precinct – extra security protocols and permits plus critical in-ground services that could not be disrupted. Detailed inspections and diligent planning ensured no disturbance to services.
- High water table. Sarah installed a series of pumps to continuously remove water as the foundations were laid. Excess groundwater was pumped to a ‘turkey nest’ to allow for natural soak away / evaporation.
- Contractor parking and delivery limitations in and around a busy airport. Sarah cooperated with the local precinct and secured an adjacent area to establish contractor parking.
- Project successfully delivered on time and on budget.
- Iconic building with superior level of finish, appropriate for a building at the gateway to the Adelaide Airport.
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving to achieve the best outcomes.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions