Kildare College, Kildare College Multi-Purpose Centre
- Kildare College
- Fixed Price
- $4.5 MIllion
- High Commendation 2019 Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) - Commercial Construction $1 Million to $25 Million
With a mix of music, dance and sport facilities, the delivery of the Kildare College multi-purpose centre sets a new standard for secondary school performing arts in Adelaide. The $4.5 million development features a netball court-come-assembly area, dance studio complete with stage, plus music theory and practice rooms, car park and landscaping. The new centre also makes room for the transformation of existing learning spaces into purpose-built STEM subject classrooms, and a drama facility. Both functional and visually appealing, this project represents a new and exciting phase in the historic college’s development.
The key remit from the client on this project, was to create an impressive and modern visual statement. This was the first major project for the college in many years and a cornerstone of their vision for future growth. Custom, never-done-before design elements were required to meet the brief. To manage the challenging forms and apply different finishes on different planes, Sarah selected a highly skilled subcontractor and undertook thorough drafting and design meetings, maintaining close collaboration with the subcontractor and architect to achieve the design intent.
The new multi-purpose centre is constructed from precast concrete and aluminium fins. Coloured and shot blasted, with different patterns and sections, the unique façade draws attention. Featuring specific acoustic properties internally, the centre not only looks fantastic but performs to a top quality professional standard. For Kildare College, this flagship project represents a progressive assimilation of traditional education values with contemporary teaching methods.
“The state of the art Multipurpose Centre has many features not previously used in SA; this was accomplished with the fantastic teamwork and exceptional working relationship between the builders, architect and college. Sarah’s were very accomodating in allowing the whole college community to embrace the project and the communication was always open and up to date – their ability to work within the school environment was refreshing. Sarah’s project team and their contractors were professional at all levels.”Lil Mader, Business Manager - Kildare College
Unique Design & Attention to Detail For First-Class Performing Arts Centre At Kildare College
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- The detailed centre design required extra consideration. It was a creative construction challenge to make the intended shapes and forms, and apply different types of finishes on distinct planes. In addition to regular design meetings, Sarah coordinated the fabrication of test panels and samples to ensure the design intent was met.
- Part-way through the project, there were delays to the customised landscaping due to external factors. Sarah had the flexibility to incorporate significant additional external works and still maintain the original completion date. As part of this process, Sarah provided design and budget management.
- The specific acoustic requirements of the centre were challenging. Sarah coordinated with the architect and acoustic engineer to ensure optimum materials were used to meet acoustic specifications. Regular inspections and quality assurance procedures were put in place. The door and window systems were also customised to maintain the desired acoustic rating.
- The visual impact and professional acoustic standard of the new building was the ideal outcome for the client. A striking and top quality learning facility, the new centre allows the college to deliver education excellence and remain competitive as a Performing Arts College.
- Managing the schedule to ensure end delivery was on time, despite unforeseeable delays, was a great outcome for the client and testament to the project team’s flexibility and pragmatism.
- As the first major project for this client, Sarah provided peace of mind to the College and managed the process seamlessly. There were few challenges, but each one was handled with Sarah’s trademark solutions focus and uniquely collaborative approach.
- The Sarah team exceeded expectations by incorporating the additional landscaping works and sticking to the original completion date.
- Sarah’s collaborative construction management style meant that the project ran like clockwork. With the client’s design intent front of mind, Sarah led a project team of trades, specialists and designers to deliver an extraordinary construction outcome together.
- As quality represented a significant priority for this project, Sarah implemented additional measures for quality assurance. This included test panels and samples along the way to ensure finishing details were as intended.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions