LHI Retirement Services, Lutheran Homes Community Centre
- LHI Retirement Services
- Aged Care / Retirement Living
- Fixed Price
- $3.6 Million
- Winner Commercial /Industrial Building $2 - $5 Million (SA Chapter) - 2019 Master Builders Australia Building Excellence Awards
- High Commendation 2019 Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) - Commercial Construction $1 Million to $25 Million
LHI Retirement Services engaged Sarah Constructions with a clear vision in mind: exquisite detailing, quality and finish. The project, consisting of a new Community Centre, kitchen, meeting hall, outdoor social engagement areas and church refurbishment, delivers an important facilities and infrastructure upgrade for this busy site. The Community Centre’s curved façade is an excellent example of superb attention to detail, featuring custom made curved brickwork, the first of its kind in South Australia.
Central to the brief was ensuring minimal disruption to the daily movements within the precinct; a major pedestrian hub with an operational aged care facility adjacent to the construction site. Sarah’s collaborative people-first methodology ensured practical and efficient staging was supported by clear communication.
For LHI Retirement Services, this project represents an important stage in their provision of outstanding facilities and delivery of service excellence.
Collaborative Construction With High Level Detailing
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Site Access & Traffic Management. An initial challenge was site access due to the considerable pedestrian and road traffic in the area. Sarah developed a specific traffic management plan and directly supervised the receipt of key deliveries, ensuring optimum control over the best site access times.
- Program re-sequencing to avoid delays. Mid-way through the project, there were unforeseen civil site delays due to sub-soil reconditioning requirements. The Sarah team re-sequenced works, incorporating temporary services, to complete the project within the original completion date.
- High level detailing. LHI’s requirement for a high level of detailing on the new Community Centre ran the risk of being costly. However, Sarah took a pre-emptive and collaborative approach with the client, capturing the intent of the design and then determining achievable solutions, within budget while meeting design intent.
- Exceeding expectations. The aesthetic of the Community Centre exceeds all expectations. The front façade incorporates striking curves, highlighted further by curved custom made bricks – never before used in SA, while maintaining the character of the area. Curves are also incorporated into the brick-tiled bulkhead in the pre-function area, and some internal walls.
- Custom detailing. The perforated joinery in the main hall adds important acoustic value and was also custom made to match the ceiling. This created an overall effect that is both visually impressive, as well as providing acoustic improvements, to help manage sound control.
- Understanding Client operations. The project team did everything in their power to support client operations and understand the sensitivities of the site. For example, shutting down site operations so a funeral could be held in the Church within the site area. Sarah’s collaborative approach, with pre-planning and constant communication, was key to ensuring there were minimal disruptions to LHI service delivery.
- Design expertise contributes to quality. As quality and detail represented a significant priority for this project, Sarah’s proactive design expertise and curved brickwork solutions added incredible value to the visual impact of the Community Centre.
- Accommodating client requirements. The Sarah team exceeded expectations in their willingness and openness to make changes to accommodate the client. By re-sequencing works half way through, Sarah pulled out all the stops to complete the project on time.
- Ensuring continued operations. Sarah went above and beyond to program work around the existing functions of the Church, understanding its significance to both the client and wider local community.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions