Southern Cross Care, Oakfield Lodge Mt Barker
- Southern Cross Care
- Aged Care / Retirement Living
- Managing Contractor
- $23 Million
- Winner 2016 National MBA Excellence in Lifestyle Housing in Seniors Awards - Aged Care Facilities
- Winner 2016 MBA Excellence in Commercial/Industrial Building $20 Million - $50 Million
- High Commendation 2016 AIB Excellence in Commercial / Industrial Development $10 Million - $50 Million (SA Chapter)
Situated close to the heart of the picturesque township of Mount Barker is the new state of the art residential care facility, Oakfield Lodge. The $23 million two-storey aged care facility, features 80 bedrooms, allied health services, commercial kitchen, café, activities shed and a hair dressing salon.
Rain no dampener on this parade.
The site, positioned adjacent to a creek, was sloped and bounded by properties. This caused significant logistical and access issues. The team at Sarah resolved these issues by leaving a central access way through the centre of the building. Sarah also designed and sourced underground precast stormwater detention tanks, significantly reducing the time the excavations were open, meaning the site was safer for everyone.
Ongoing wet weather and high dew in the Adelaide Hills presented unexpected interruptions, requiring urgent logistics management. The inclement weather risked the halt to a number of works, however potentially lengthy delays were cut short after the Sarah team brought in mobile equipment, allowing works to continue.
After a 13-month construction period, the facility was delivered to the client on time and 5 per cent under the original project budget.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- High financial sensitivity due to the collapse of a previous builder. The solid background and financial stability of Sarah and sub-contractors was critical in providing customer reassurance.
- The sloping site and creek presented serious logistical issues. Sarah addressed these through a dynamic and resourceful approach, to minimise cost.
- Budget and speed were primary customer concerns in design solutions. Sarah was extremely diligent in the design scope, to manage both aspects.
- Project implemented with time and cost savings
- Superior communication across the project, which Sarah seamlessly coordinated.
- Cost savings through alternative materials and clever project sequencing.
- Sarah exceeded expectations in the building handover and defect management. The Sarah site team continued post completion to ensure any handover / start up issues were dealt with efficiently and immediately.
- Efficient Sub-contractor management to mitigate budget, time and quality issues and deliver an outstanding result.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions