- Chapley Group
- Fixed Price
- $27 Million
- Winner Commercial / Industrial Building $20 Million to $50 Million (SA Chapter) - 2019 Master Builders Australia Building Excellence Awards
- High Commendation 2019 Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) - Commercial Construction $25 Million to $50 Million
Chapley Group engaged Sarah Constructions with two key specifications in mind; a high-quality product and completion of the new Saints Road Shopping Centre by Christmas 2018. Sarah’s extensive experience in retail construction meant the team could hit the ground running, with forward planning, transparent communication and careful staging from the outset. This allowed the team to deliver the client’s vision within a shorter than average timeframe.
With a 21 tenancy mix of shops, gymnasium, restaurant and large Foodland Supermarket, the Centre forms an important part of the construction boom in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. The retail development also includes a free-standing McDonalds, landscaping, 354 car parks and a new slip lane off Main North Road.
The material selections and external façade design make Saints Road Shopping Centre an impressive landmark, featuring coloured glass reinforced concrete panels, attractive timber panels and two large glass entry lobbies. It’s an exact manifestation of the design, on time and within budget. For Chapley Group, this project represents a huge success – their top quality retail destination in the North, finally coming to fruition.
“I would like to take an opportunity to convey our appreciation and sincere gratitude to the entire team who achieved and delivered on time an outstanding retail development.
Sarah Constructions unwavering commitment to complete the project in less than 11 months is a testament to the teams ability to manage a complex program involving integrating tenancy fit outs – including the major anchor tenant, Foodland Supermarket.
The construction of a retail centre often requires last minute design changes and variations to maintain retail trends or the demands of retailers and our customers; Sarah’s experience and can do attitude not only accommodated the changes but most importantly, maintained the overall program and project delivery.
We look forward to working again with Sarah Constructions on the next project.”Marcus Collins, General Manager - Property - Saints Shopping
Commitment To Quality & Program Delivers Shopping Centre Excellence
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- The biggest challenge was the timeframe. Typically, a project of this nature would have a further 2 months in the program. To accommodate the client’s deadline, the Sarah team carefully selected subcontractors and allocated additional resources to the project. Then, by understanding the risks and planning months in advance, Sarah were able to adapt and re-sequence critical program tasks to mitigate delays.
- Another challenge was the busy location of the project. Sarah ensured a detailed dilapidation report was carried out of all surrounding businesses, roads and houses. With 250 personnel on site, it was important to establish clear lines of communication to mitigate issues and deliver updates as required.
- Poor weather resulted in delays to works. However, the Sarah team’s careful staging allowed the program to gain added contingency, so the final deadline was not impacted. In fact, an integrated fitout of the arcade and Foodland was able to commence earlier than expected.
- High quality finishes were identified as a key client priority from the project outset. The Sarah team was dedicated in their commitment to deliver this outcome for Chapley Group, selecting only the finest suppliers and most skilled contractors to deliver exceptional quality across the build.
- Managing the program to deadline was absolutely critical for Chapley Group, so that the soft launch could happen before Christmas, with the main opening scheduled for January 2019. Sarah was able to meet these deadlines, at the high-level of quality that was desired, which was a huge “wow” outcome for the client.
- The finished product looks identical to the design plans and 3D imagery. This outcome is an extraordinary feat of construction, given the contractual time constraints. It’s testament to the skill, dedication and experience of the Sarah team that it was achieved, without any cost creep.
- The Sarah team exceeded expectations by mitigating the weather and other unavoidable delays to stick to the required accelerated program. Sarah’s solutions focus and collaborative approach got the job done, on time and on budget.
- The project team’s retail and design experience meant they were able to save money with design amendments that ensured the desired quality could be achieved within a shorter timeframe. Ultimately, this knowledge and skill is what allowed the client’s vision to be delivered on time.
- With considerable resources on site at one time, Sarah’s people first approach was integral in delivering project objectives and positive working relationships. Through superior communication practices, Sarah ensured all stakeholders were kept informed and guided the smooth running of the project.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions