Gleeson College, The Micah Senior Learning Centre
- Gleeson College
- Fixed Price
- $5.4 Million
The new 2-storey purpose-designed Gleeson College Senior Learning Centre, delivers a state-of-the-art facility to mirror tertiary style learning spaces and pedagogy, to assist senior students to transition into tertiary pathways.
The Learning Centre incorporates 8 learning areas, flexible meeting and breakout facilities, student hub, think tank, kitchen café, staff offices and student services. Site integration into the wider College was achieved through a new student carpark and site entry that included a series of terraced landscape beds leading down to the oval.
Sarah successfully delivered on the Gleeson College and Cox’s Architect’s brief to create an iconic and modern building as a feature at the front of campus. Striking design and material selections delivered an eye-catching building whilst collaboration with current school elements, such as school signage and brick selection, ensured consistency with the existing College style and buildings.
Tertiary-Ready Styled Space
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- COVID-19 materials delivery delays. At the end of the project, COVID-19 restrictions meant material deliveries were delayed from overseas and interstate. Re-programming and redirecting resources was required to minimise the impact of these delays.
- Large earthworks package in wet winter. The large earthworks package was undertaken in winter 2019 within exceedingly wet conditions. To manage this, Sarah conducted reactive planning around wet weather and temporary works, meeting with engineers and third parties to ensure correct outcomes.
- Working in a live school environment with minimal impact. The construction site location near the main student carpark required dedicated management to reduce school disruptions. Sarah’s measures included regular coordination with school staff, undertaking disruptive work on weekends or in school holidays and minimising works during the morning drop off and afternoon pick up times.
- Modern look and high quality finishes. Through the combination of narrow brick selection, mix of brick colours, plus wood, concrete and steel elements, Sarah delivered a high quality and striking finish; the overall impact creating the iconic building look that was a high client priority.
- Bespoke, visually striking main staircase. Constructed out of a timber veneer, every staircase piece was cut by hand on site, creating an architecturally striking and modern finish.
- Regular communication delivers on time completion. The school greatly appreciated regular updates to inform students, staff and parents. Regular contractor meetings and on-going communication ensured everyone maintained program to deliver the project within the school timeline requirement.
- Complicated redesign of pathways for service installation. Due to latent conditions, complicated designs and investigations into revised pathways were required. Sarah utilised their unique team skills to manage numerous third parties and successfully ensure services were redirected.
- Delivering high quality finishes. Incredibly detailed drawings, regular meetings with the design team, a sample approval processes, and shop drawing approvals supported by detailed quality management on site, ensured the clients’ expectations for high quality finishes was exceeded.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions