- St Basil's Homes
- Aged Care / Retirement Living
- Construction Management
- $8.5 Million
- Winner 2019 Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) - Commercial Construction $1 Million to $25 Million
The St Peters aged care redevelopment represents a significant renovation for St Basil’s Homes. The project involved construction of 31-bed aged care accommodation with associated support facilities, plus additional services including a gym, movie theatre and external communal areas with significant landscaping.
St Basil’s engaged Sarah Constructions as their Construction Manages when their incumbent builder was no longer able to complete the project. The key remit was to finish as fast as possible, as the project had been on hold for two months with residents relocated to a hired facility. Sarah took a holistic and pragmatic approach, providing solutions to St Basil’s construction problems to turn the client’s vision, into reality.
The new St Peters, with added chapel and café, is an extraordinary feat of construction management. Sarah delivered a stunning final product with exquisite joinery and feature marble, a source of pride for both staff and residents. St Peters is now a warm and inviting aged care center, full of unique spaces for peaceful relaxation and social engagement; characteristics that are central to St Basil’s Homes community ideal.
“I would like to again thank you and the Sarah’s team for bringing this development together under difficult circumstances.
The end product is testament to the quality of work that Sarah’s stand for. We have all enjoyed working with your team and appreciated the ‘can do’ attitude throughout the project.
We very much look forward to working with you on future projects.”Michelle Church, Chief Executive - St Basil's Homes SA
Holistic Approach Produces Top Quality Outcome For St Basil’s St Peters
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- The most significant challenge was posed by taking over from another builder. Sarah commenced with a thorough subcontracts and trades review, to ensure project scope was covered. The team then prioritised the identification of defects and risks, to provide a full and transparent budget forecast for the client.
- To address the client’s strict time and budget constraints, Sarah looked to package works where possible and mitigated costs as a priority.
- When Sarah came on board, St Basil’s had already lost both time and money. The client also expected to lose quality as a result. However, Sarah’s expert cost management, capable project team and attention to detail ensured that a superior construction outcome was delivered.
- Sarah achieved the client’s intent to return the façade of the existing building to its original state. The result is a magnificent frontage, the pride of St Basil’s St Peters,accompanied by the new glass lift incorporated in the entry.This project delivered a striking architectural mix of the old and new.
- Sarah’s exceptional budget and program planning enabled the additional inclusion of a new chapel and café, to be incorporated into the project at the client’s request.
- The project team delivered a superior level of quality and finish that, especially due to circumstances with the previous builder, far exceeded client expectations. Of particular note, is the featured joinery and featured marble used throughout the facility.
- The Sarah team exceeded expectations in their openness and willingness to collaborate in order to achieve the client’s vision. Through group discussions, redesigns and a fast-tracked process for decision-making on site, Sarah delivered the desired outcome, against the odds.
- The structural review of the existing building saw considerable value-add. Because it required extensive work, the Sarah team took a holistic approach to capture the intent of what the client wanted, working backwards from there to achieve it. Instead of just fixing up the building, the team re-engineered it to stand the test of time.
- Sarah’s expert value management added critical value to this project. Through methodical planning and reviews, as well as the team’s ability to recommend affordable alternative solutions, St Basil’s were delivered their vision within budget.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions