St Mary's College, St Mary’s New Sports Hall & Boylan Building Refurbishment
- St Mary's College
- Fixed Price
- $9.4 Million
- High Commendation 2019 Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) - Commercial Construction $1 Million to $25 Million
With their brand new multipurpose facility, St Mary’s College sets a new benchmark for basketball and netball facilities in Adelaide. The West Terrace development features a basketball court with Olympic standard flooring, a full size indoor gym and art department classrooms. As part of the project, the existing heritage Boylan Building was also refurbished. The unique façade makes an impressive statement in a high traffic area and features zinc and translucent Rodeca© cladding used for the very first time in South Australia.
St Mary’s College engaged Sarah Constructions on the basis that everything could be ready for the 2019 school intake. Sarah’s solutions focus and close working relationship with the architect meant the project was completed ahead of time. Excellent communication and efficiency audits enabled the project team to mitigate delays and the school to continue daily operations uninterrupted.
The West Terrace Sports Hall is cladded with Rodeca© Polycarbonate material from Germany, which is renowned for its excellent thermal and acoustic properties and VM Zinc cladding, creating a bold, highly visible public face. For St Mary’s College, this unique project is already paying dividends in terms of the positive feedback and enquiries they have received.
Sarah worked with St Mary’s College to offer active involvement and learning programs for their students as part of the construction project; you can learn more about it here: https://sarah.com.au/st-marys-college-embracing-construction/
“The relationship between Sarah’s Project Team and my key staff was exemplary from the outset. Their day to day communication with the school was outstanding, allowing us to manage the inevitable disruptions caused by a building program on a tight city campus.
On top of the details related to building, members of the team were willing to offer additional learning programs for our students connected with the project. This was extremely valuable in enhancing our STEM programs. In doing this, they connected us with other women working in the organisation who provided good role models for our students.
It was evident that every effort is made to live out their mission to build great relationships.”Clare Nocka, Principal - St Mary's College
Olympic Standard Sports Facilities Using International Market Leading Materials
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Unexpected existing building footings were discovered early on, which needed to be removed. As a latent condition, this was not within the scope of works and threatened to cause delays. The Sarah team worked closely with subcontractors to determine and implement the most time and cost effective solution. The works were completed within the in-built program contingency and the timeline wasn’t affected.
- Power shutdowns were required to change the old switchboards. Sarah scheduled outages outside of working hours, to avoid disturbance to the school. Considerable planning and back-up generators were required to keep the College’s servers and fridges operational throughout the shutdowns.
- A key remit of the project was to use a special cladding product from Germany that had never been seen before in South Australia. The Sarah team worked tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure the necessary commercial agreements were in place to make this happen.
- A major project highlight is the Olympic grade basketball court. This was an important outcome for St Mary’s College because their intention was to hire out the court to Netball SA and Basketball SA for official competitions. The ambiance and natural light inside the court is outstanding thanks to the translucent Rodeca Cladding.
- As the deadline was a major concern for the client, a fantastic outcome was handing over the refurbished Boylan Building ahead of schedule. The Sarah team re-coordinated activities so that the finished admin building could be delivered a term early, more than 8 weeks before original schedule.
- The external façade of the West Terrace Sports Hall has serious “wow” factor without looking out of place. In such a high traffic area, the building stands out and is – in effect – advertising the school in a noticeable, contemporary and positive way. Positive initial feedback confirms this.
- The Sarah team exceeded expectations by mitigating the delay experienced in the early life of the project to deliver on time. Through reprogramming and expert time management, the Boylan Building was successfully completed early.
- Sarah’s people first approach was essential to the delivery of superior construction outcomes. For example, the project team collaborated with the architect to improve the end result for the administration refurbishment. Their input was also integral to the immaculate service installation and the gymnasium buildability.
- The Sarah team collaborated with the St Mary’s Staff and Students, including them in the construction process; this approach turned a potential inconvenience into an opportunity for education and helped to instill a sense of excitement and ownership over the project while reducing the impact of the works.
- Because of the site’s unique location and access restrictions, the Sarah team dedicated considerable resource to the re-staging of certain construction activities. This included coordinating with Adelaide City Council for the lifting of pre-cast panels from the road. Sections of West Terrace were shut down to achieve this, which required significant logistical planning and high stakeholder communication.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions