City of Port Adelaide Enfield, The Lights Community and Sports Centre
- City of Port Adelaide Enfield
- Fixed Price
- $21.7 Million
The new world class indoor recreation facilities at The Lights Community and Sports Centre provides a timely health and wellbeing boost to the City of Port Adelaide Enfield. The $21.7 million dollar development project, with a focus on access and inclusion, comprises 2 stadiums, 5 multi-purpose courts with associated public facilities, retractable seating that will seat approximately 1000 people, commercial and retail tenancies, adaptable function spaces, a community room and sporting viewing areas. This project delivers an excellent example of Sarah Constructions’ experience and superior expertise in large recreation developments.
As a high-spec sports arena, a major concern for Council was to ensure correct certified materials were sourced and installed for key sporting areas, such as flooring, walls, technology and spectator seating. Experienced and highly skilled contractors and suppliers ensured elite level sporting specifications were delivered. The successful construction of The Lights’ façade is a great example of teamwork between multiple organisations, managed by Sarah, to deliver a statement finish to this sporting facility and achieve the client’s vision.
The modern, cutting edge design provides a welcoming, inclusive place for everyone, whilst also delivering flexibility and functionality, to provide a multi-use space for the local community; a great result for the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council. The Sarah team provided the knowledge, skills and experience to drive the program and exceed expectations, within a tight timeframe.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Expert Weather Delay Mitigation. Steel procurement delays and bad weather threatened to push out the project completion date. The Sarah team mitigated delays by accelerating other works, in particular the external cladding and internal fit out.
- Prototypes For Quality Control. It was essential that the wall cladding was watertight despite its many different panels and joints. The Sarah team created a prototype of half a dozen panels, for quality assurance review before full installation. The team then ensured there was a clear understanding of the layout of the panels; multiple different shades of colour were included in the design which required a specific location of each colour panel, to achieve the impact of the design vision.
- Proactive + Flexible Fit-Outs. The tenants for some internal catering spaces were not assigned during construction, leaving questions over final appliances, materials and layout. To manage this, the Sarah team worked closely with a commercial kitchen contractor, the design team and client to expedite a design solution for the space, selecting equipment and layouts that provided the most flexibility and best operational capability.
- Timely Delivery. With a number of stakeholders and community input, delivery on time was crucial to the client. Delays outside of Sarah’s control threatened on-time project delivery. The Sarah team’s expert project management drove activities and devised methodologies that mitigated delays to ensure the deadlines were met.
- Superior Quality + Functionality. The stadiums are aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. Selections were made with long term functionality and lifespan in mind. This is evident in the high-quality end result, which will facilitate a wide range of sporting activities including basketball, netball, volleyball, badminton, futsal and roller derby.
- Artistic Aesthetic. The client and architectural vision, branding the facility as “The Lights” was successfully represented throughout the build, from the exterior multi-colour Askin wall cladding, to the artistic murals and café splashbacks. The development exhibits many features that are talking points and integrates seamlessly with the modern residential community in which it’s located.
- Superior People Skills. Sarah’s focus on putting people first ensured that the expertise of the project contractors aligned with the needs of multiple different stakeholders. For example, the collaboration with the commercial kitchen contractor to drive positive outcomes for future tenants.
- AV + IT Expertise. The scope around audiovisual and IT setup was initially unclarified. Sarah was able to provide expertise to facilitate and build in increased AV capacity and flexibility, determining the requirements for equipment and factoring them into the construction phase in sequence with construction activities.
- Expert Project Management. The key principles of excellent project management were exhibited by the Sarah team throughout this project: on time delivery due to clever re-programming and delay mitigation; maintaining budget despite delays and challenges; successful management of contractors and stakeholders to deliver construction outcomes that exceeded expectations.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions