Woolworths, Golden Grove
- Managing Contractor
- $2.9 million
The Golden Grove Village Shopping Centre includes over 100 specialty stores to cater for the surrounding districts. Woolworths is one of the busiest retailers within the complex and ensuring limited disruption to customer service when building the new concept store was a key priority for the client.
To ensure that the very tight 12-week deadline was met, Sarah engaged the sub-contractors who could best manage the anticipated design changes and implemented sophisticated forward planning and accurate forecasting to manage their program of works.
Sarah’s project team worked closely with the Woolworths team and the building owner, keeping an open line of communication to ensure the staging maximised centre uptime during the build.
Sarah’s dedicated and experienced retail team understand the requirements of working within an occupied space; every measure was taken to minimize the impact of the works on customers and ensure that the hoarding, temporary screens and signage provided clear pedestrian direction and prevented any unauthorized entry into the site.
Part of Sarah’s service as the managing contractor was to provide additional expertise around the design. The project team recommended ways to maximise the new Woolworths store’s performance, without adding to the overall project cost. These small but effective changes were appreciated by the client and incorporated into future concept store rollouts.
“A fresh look for the Fresh Food People at Golden Grove”
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Sarah recommended ways to maximise the store’s performance without adding to the project’s overall cost, including more cost-effective materials for cool room walls.
- Recommendation of additional floor grates, to be positioned in the most effective locations around the building, to maximise drainage capacity.
- Additional site safety controls, to prevent curious shoppers and unwanted intruders entering the building site.
- Concept store delivered in only 12 weeks (a much shorter timeframe than normally allocated to a retail store of this size).
- The existing supermarket continued operating during the build.
- Woolworths’ state manager was delighted with the result and appreciated the additional efforts made by Sarah to bring his new concept store to life in record time.
- Sarah leveraged strong relationships with local sub-contractors, to manage this 24/7 site for 12 weeks and ensure it met all critical deadlines.
- Services infrastructure required a lot of additional forward planning, as the client’s build programme determined that it wouldn’t be rolled out in a chronological order. Sarah’s strong relationships with local sub-contractors ensured that the client’s needs were accommodated at all times.
- Sarah’s long-term relationships went a long way towards this time-sensitive project hitting its deadlines, without impacting shoppers or tenants.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions