Sportsmed, Stepney Expansion
- Health Care
- Lump Sum
- $3.3 Million
- High Commendation 2018 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) Commercial Construction Up to $5 Million
Through a client-focused, collaborative approach, Sarah Constructions successfully delivered SPORTSMED SA’s state-of-the-art healthcare hub featuring South Australia’s only purpose-built orthopaedic hospital, by expanding their existing Stepney site.
While operations continued at the existing facility, the Sarah team managed the expansion which includes five new tenancies, three of which included tenant fit-outs. The transformation allows patients to undertake their entire healthcare journey from diagnosis and treatment, including hospital stay and café, through to rehabilitation facilities, all in one location.
SPORTSMED explained, “This enables SPORTSMED·SA to meet the demand for orthopaedic medicine and services predicted to overwhelm the health system in the next decade, and continue to deliver on our commitment to providing quality and innovative healthcare.”
SPORTSMED healthcare hub to deliver quality and innovative care.
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- The project required a rare type of façade. The vented alucobond cladding system was atypical to Adelaide and unfamiliar to subcontractors. However, Sarah Constructions re-programmed works around the installation to manage installation to client deadlines.
- To prevent disruption to car parking for SPORTSMED patients, the project team staged the car park upgrade to ensure access to each building was maintained. Works were often completed over weekends to suit client operations, and coordinated in advance to keep patients’ updated.
- The Sarah project team were flexible in their approach to design changes, accommodating client requirements right through to handover.
- A major expansion to existing facilities without affecting operations, driveway access, or car parking; the Sarah team managed the build while all SPORTSMED facilities were fully operational.
- The delivered outcome was on brief; a one-stop-shop for musculoskeletal care that delivered convenience and had the patient experience front of mind. Initial patient feedback has been positive.
- Sarah Constructions delivered a stress-free experience to SPORTSMED by managing the overall site, including tenant contractors.
- Key to the Sarah team’s approach was their flexibility and solutions focus. Sarah Constructions re-sequenced processes and programming to ensure minimal disruptions to patients.
- Sarah’s commitment to delivering superior construction outcomes meant SPORTSMED could rest assured the site, including the separate tenancies, would be delivered as per the original brief.
- The team remained available after handover to massage any issues and undertake works that the client requested be delayed.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions