d'Arenberg Winery, The Cube
- d'Arenberg Winery
- Managing Contractor
- 11 Million
- Winner 2018 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) Commercial Construction $5 Million - $25 Million
- Winner 2018 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards (National Chapter) Commercial Construction $5 Million - $25 Million
Sarah Constructions was appointed as Managing Contractor for the construction of the d’Arenberg Cube; an iconic ‘Rubik’s Cube’ style five storey building, designed to attract visitors both nationally and internationally. The Cube incorporates wine tasting areas, bars, function rooms, kitchen, restaurant and associated amenities.
d’Arenberg’s Chief Winemaker and Viticulturist Chester Osborn approached Sarah armed with the basic concept of the Cube. Sarah then put together a team that included ADS Architects, Bestec and CPR Engineers, to commence the documentation, planning and approval processes. Construction commenced in late 2014 and was undertaken over two key stages: Substructure and services enabling works; and the Superstructure.
From the concept stage of the Cube, d’Arenberg made it clear that the team must consider aesthetics in conjunction with constructability and function for the desired outcome to be achieved. Despite a challenging design concept, the project team delivered on the promise of a prominent and unmistakable landmark, a future icon of the McLaren Vale region.
“The unique, never done design of so many aspects of the d’Arenberg Cube didn’t faze Sarah Constructions; Sarah relished and excelled in this unique project. Their very professional accounting and building process systems made the job somewhat effortless.”Chester Osborn, Chief Winemaker & Viticulturalist - d'Arenberg
A McLaren Vale icon, delivered with a balance of design and functionality
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Creating a bespoke building that imitates a “Rubiks Cube” in motion in line with Chester Osborne’s vision that functions in a new and ever-changing environment.
- Bringing up the structure of the Cube presented a series of challenges for the construction team, including:
- getting the ‘Rubik’s Cube’ detail on the façade; Sarah engaged Kingwood Aluminium to design manufacture and install a bespoke façade system.
- A prominent and unmistakable landmark, attracting plenty of media attention; a true manifestation of Chester Osborn’s vision, set to become an icon of the McLaren Vale region.
- Expert consultancy and team management meant mitigating of most unexpected delays and the delivery of a building that met the client’s high expectations and was fit for purpose.
- Significant design and coordination remained to be completed at the beginning of the construction phase. The highly skilled Sarah team used their knowledge, experience and existing relationships to manage the process of completing design while construction was already taking place.
- Sarah’s commitment to building relationships means the project team could rely on their Subcontractors to provide advice and ideas to meet the requests of the client throughout the construction process. The team approached the challenges presented with a solution focus, working collaboratively and seamlessly to deliver an exceptional building.
- Through fine-tuning the client’s requests, the team delivered better value without compromising the vision.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions