Regis Aged Care, Burnside
- Regis Aged Care
- Aged Care / Retirement Living
- Lump Sum
- $25 million
- Winner 2018 AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards (SA Chapter) Commercial Construction $25 Million - $100 Million
Regis Burnside sets a new standard in aged care living. Working within an operational facility, Sarah Constructions were tasked with building a brand new, three level, 113 bed aged care facility without any disruption to client operations.
With the client and architect based interstate, the Sarah team’s emphasis on clear communication was paramount. Project Manager, Salem Tredrea, explained that their communicative approach was appreciated because “it alleviated pressure for the client.” In addition, the project team provided valuable design input, to deliver the client’s vision within budget and on time.
This new development will help Regis in its mission to promote and enhance the quality of life of residents in environments that foster empowerment, sense of belonging, respect and dignity.
Setting a new standard in Aged Care Living
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- With restricted access to site, Sarah Constructions reworked the original design to allow for the infrastructure to be upgraded while client operations continued.
- Working within an operational aged care environment required strict safety protocols, as well as consideration for the overall aesthetic of the facility while construction was taking place. Monthly auditing was done by an independent safety contractor; landscapers cleaned areas visible to residents on a fortnightly basis and architecturally designed temporary structures were used.
- To offset the costs associated with client driven redesigns, Sarah facilitated a cost-saving exercise with subcontractors, which allowed the client’s vision to be achieved at a more affordable price. This reclaimed around $250,000 without jeopardising the design intent or quality of building finishes.
- Successful delivery of a state-of-the-art facility on time and with no significant disruptions to existing operations.
- Refurbishment and upgrades to existing facilities worth $3,000 were added to the scope during phase one of the project. The client also benefited from maintenance to existing buildings while Sarah resources were on site.
- Happy client stakeholders: Superior construction outcome delivered to the Development Team; informed and placated Facility Managers; a supported Mobilisation Team with a longer transition period to ensure a smooth handover.
- With the Architects and contracting client situated interstate, the Sarah team quickly established open lines of communication to keep Regis staff on site informed. For example, Facility Managers were included in weekly construction meetings to provide them with advance notification of works.
- Despite being a fully documented lump sum contract, the Sarah team provided many significant and necessary reworkings of the design, while implementing cost and time savings to keep to budget and program.
- The Sarah team’s exceptional people management skills meant that excellent relations have been maintained with all stakeholders and neighboring communities, which was of particular concern to the client.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions