St Basil's Homes, St Tabitha Wing Refurbishment
- St Basil's Homes
- Aged Care / Retirement Living
- Fixed Price
- $1.6 Million
The St Tabitha Wing refurbishment represents a significant upgrade to the St Basil’s Homes, Aegean Village. Involving a complete internal demolition, the project comprised the construction of 36 rooms, 2 kitchens, multiple living rooms, and a new external courtyard area, with associated landscaping.
St Basil’s engaged Sarah Constructions after completing the $8.5 million redevelopment and relocation of their St. Peter’s facility. Avoiding disruption to ongoing operations and meeting the program deadline were critical to the project’s success for St Basils; meeting these requirements ensured relocation stress for their existing patients was minimized.
Aesthetics were a major part of the project. The new St Tabitha Wing offers fantastic functionality within the aesthetic ideals of the attached Greek Orthodox church. The indoor spaces were reconfigured within a 1970s-1980s theme to connect dementia residents to a time when they felt safe and at home. The result is engaging and secure, providing residents with a level of enjoyment and autonomy that is central to the St Basil’s Homes community.
Sarah approached the project with a collaborative, solutions-focus, providing value management suggestions to St Basil’s to deliver the client’s vision on budget.
Enjoyment And Autonomy For Residents At St Basil’s
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Strict Time and budget constraints. The Sarah team worked closely with the client and subcontractors to reconfigure plans and materials, making sure the most cost-effective solution was always applied.
- Maintaining Existing Operations. Weekly site meetings, regular communication, and application of appropriate methodologies ensured existing operations were unaffected and relocated residents could move back in as quickly and smoothly as possible.
- Avoiding cost creep. Unexpected issues identified during refurbishment, such as unknown under-floor conditions, were successfully managed through Sarah’s solution focused approach.
- Experience Enhances Project Delivery. The Sarah team achieved the client’s aim of providing residents with a feeling of increased independence by revising the layout and lighting of the common area, based on their extensive experience in previous projects of similar nature.
- Meeting the brief. The project team delivered an attractive outdoor social gathering point within the style parameters of the associated church, while also meeting the brief in terms of resident safety and security.
- Budget and Time Management. Sarah’s exceptional budget and time management ensured that the client’s vision of a familiar and aesthetically pleasing environment, encouraging residents to feel safe and independent, was achieved.
- Solution Focused Approach. The Sarah team exceeded expectations in their ability to identify issues and provide solutions quickly and with cost and programming in mind.
- Minimized Disruption. Sarah went over and above to minimize disruption to the existing facility by maintaining an immaculate construction site, in an operational environment. Safe external access and site cleanliness was prioritised at all times.
- Cohesive Project Team. Sarah’s expert people and construction management skills ensured the project ran smoothly for the client. The team coordinated site contractors and client communication, bringing all elements together to deliver a fantastic result on time and within budget.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions