Faith Lutheran College, East Wing Upgrade
- Faith Lutheran College
- Fixed Price
- $4.5 Million
The new 2-storey Middle School development for Faith Lutheran College features four General Learning Areas, an Open Learning Area and several refurbished ground floor classrooms, facilitating the addition of Year 7 students to the Faith campus for the first time. The style of the building has been carefully designed to match the existing West Wing, bringing a contemporary aesthetic to the Middle School without detracting from the heritage of the College.
Sarah Constructions provided Faith Lutheran College with a detailed master program during the tender period to outline how the project would be managed within their fully operational facility to meet the deadline of the new school year. Completing on time was a key remit of the project, as the Middle School upgrade would allow the school to accommodate Year 7 students in the new year.
The updated Middle School features 550sqm of suspended floor space and an impressive main foyer and stairs. This expansion represents an exciting moment in history for the Faith College community.
Quality Construction To Grow The Faith Community
Design Challenges and Creative Solutions
- Detailed program management to meet deadlines. To meet the client’s deadline, the detailed master program was constantly updated to reflect on site changes and ensure the project could be resourced appropriately. Short term programs were also provided to closely manage trades and provide a more detailed snapshot of upcoming works.
- Achieving design intent. Maintaining a consistent aesthetic also posed a challenge, since two different aluminium systems were being installed, which caused discrepancies in the visual line of the coloured Spandrel Glass. The Sarah team worked closely with the Architect & Engineer to support and step the aluminium in locations that would maintain the singular aesthetic of the façade.
- Deltacore prefabricated slab installation. The suspended slab is predominantly comprised of Deltacore Floor Panels, which are prefabricated and lowered into place. The Sarah design team worked closely with the Structural Engineer & Deltacore to amend the original design to facilitate and accelerate the panel installation.
- High quality finishes were identified as a key client priority from the project outset. The Sarah team were dedicated in their commitment to deliver this outcome for Faith Lutheran College. The team worked closely with key consultants and stakeholders across the project to perfect detailing and deliver exceptional quality across the build.
- Delivered on time. Managing the program for completion to deadline was a critical factor for Faith Lutheran College. Through well-controlled programming and strict time management, Sarah kept delays to an absolute minimum so the building was able to open in time for the new school year.
- Feature staircase. The main foyer and stairs of the Middle School were a real highlight of the design and delivered a showpiece for the client. Featuring an off-form stair with two different stair depths and open balustrade, the whole staircase is vinyl wrapped. Impressive lighting fixtures are suspended from the ceiling at differing heights to add depth and interest. Finally, the surrounding area is open glazing with the result that the foyer can be seen from all angles.
- Maintaining college operations. Working in an operational facility there are frequently unforeseen elements as works progress. To mitigate this, Sarah conducted several site visits in coordination with service trades to provide a detailed summary of works, successfully maintaining college operations.
- Sarah’s design knowledge and solutions-focus meant the team could identify constructability issues and provide suggestions to the client for a better aesthetic result.
- Collaborative approach. The Sarah team also exceeded expectations by inducting students as per Sarah contractors and showing them around the site, to experience first-hand, the commercial building process. This helped students gain a general understanding of construction / trade skills and provided a sense of inclusion in the project.
Make an appointment to discuss your next project with Sarah Constructions